You can achieve smooth, hair-free skin without the hassle of shaving and waxing. We offer laser (IPL) hair removal with the versatile Icon Aesthetic System. Call and schedule your appointment today.
Laser (IPL) Hair Removal Q & A
When the energy of the Icon laser is directed to treatment areas, it heats up the hair follicles beneath your outer layer of skin. The energy causes no damage to your skin, but destroys the hair follicles when the pigment contained in them absorbs the heat energy. The destroyed follicles can no longer grow hair, leaving you with smooth skin.
Treatment is possible just about anywhere on your body where you have unwanted hair. Consider laser (IPL) hair removal for areas including:
- Chin and upper lip
- Back and chest
- Bikini line
- Legs and arms
Both men and women can benefit from laser (IPL) hair removal.
Laser (IPL) hair removal only works on hair in the active growth stage. Hair follicles are always in different stages of growth at all times, so multiple sessions are always needed to ensure optimal results while targeting the growing hair at each treatment time. Hair growth varies from person to person and can depend on hair density, hormones, and genetics. Most people require 3 to 7 treatments.
Most people tolerate laser treatments for hair removal quite well. You may feel some warmth and prickling during a session, but the treatment typically requires no anesthetic or numbing cream.
Laser (IPL) hair removal sessions are relatively quick, ranging from a few minutes to about 30 minutes. You don’t need to schedule downtime following treatment, so you can go right back to work or school. You may have slight redness or swelling in the treated areas, but this subsides within a few hours.
You do need to avoid direct sun exposure for several weeks following laser (IPL) hair removal. Your skin is temporarily extra sensitive to ultraviolet light. For the next several days you will notice what seems like normal hair growth. This is the hair being pushed out of the follicle and will require you to shave as normal. Once the hair has been pushed out, you will notice no hair growth for several weeks. When hair growth resumes, it is time to schedule another appointment.
- Treatments are not effective on gray, blonde, white, or bleached hair.
- Unfortunately, current laser (IPL) hair removal technology is not effective on darker skin tones. The science of laser (IPL) hair removal uses heat energy that targets the pigment in the hair follicle, increasing the risk of hypo or hyperpigmentation darker skin.
- Hair removal by electrolysis, waxing, tweezing, threading, and depilatory creams should be avoided for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Treatment area must be shaven on the day of intended treatment. Please use a razor and shaving cream to create a smooth, hair free surface.
- Treatment areas may not be sun (or tanning bed) exposed and may not be treated with spray tan or tanning lotions.
- Sun sensitizing medications must be stopped 10 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid use of tretinoin and topical retinoids and exfoliating products 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Individual response varies, but usually 3 to 8 treatments are necessary to achieve desired results…possibly more.
- Small area: brow, chin, lip, sideburns
- $90 each or $225 for 3 treatments
- After 3 treatments: $40 per treatment
- 2 areas: $300 for 3 treatments and $50 per additional treatment
- Medium area: armpits, goatee, bikini line, back of neck
- $99 each or $280 for 3 treatments
- After 3 treatments: $50 per treatment
- Large area: brazilian, chest, abdomen, lower legs, forearms, shoulders
- $190 each or $500 for 3 treatments
- Extra large area: back (including shoulders), chest/abdomen (including shoulders), top of legs
- $325 each or $700 for 3 treatments